Sunday, August 3, 2008

To Cling or Not to Cling?

This summer has been a turning point for Nati Grace. She has not always been a huge fan of swimming. For me, that was something I was determined to change. I want her to enjoy the water just as much as I did when I was a child. However, over the past couple of summers Nati Grace has not quite shared my love of the water. As a matter of fact, her idea of swimming has been more like clinging to Mommy and me hoping that I survive the choking!


Oh, but this summer, Nati Grace discovered her magic vest for the lake and the ocean and her magic swimmies for the pool! She is absolutely enamored with her freedom in the water and I am in awe of the difference of just one year!


And then... there is that little side of me that realizes my little girl doesn't need me quite as much as she used to. But, isn't that what we are supposed to do as parents? Teach our kids to do things on their own. With each passing day, they should rely on us less... but if not on us, then on who?


Our initial response may be that parents should teach their children to have self-reliance. Well, I find that is just not true in my own life. Quite frankly, I find myself more "clingy" now than I have ever been...to my Father, my Heavenly Father. It seems to be a paradox. As earthly children, we grow and need our parents less. As children of God, as we grow, we discover that we need Him all the more.


I have been clinging a lot lately. Things get stressful... I cling. I get tired... I cling. I get myself in a mess (which seems to be way too often)... I cling.


So that leaves me with only one possible conclusion. As my children are growing, I should teach them to be as clingy as possible to the great and mighty God that I know as my Savior. My prayer should be that they have no self-reliance at all, but overflowing God-reliance.


That should help me as a mommy. My Nati Grace is not able to do things on her own without my help, she is simply able to do them in God's strength. Wow! That makes her growing up become a lot easier on my heart!


"When I remember Thee on my bed, I meditate on Thee in the night watches, For thou hast been my help, And in the shadow of Thy wings I sing for joy. My soul clings to Thee; Thy right hand upholds me." ~ Psalm 63:6-7


No comments: