Sunday, September 14, 2008

You MUST Be Kidding Me!

I had dealt with some pain all week. Jamie had become quite accustomed to me complaining that my mouth hurt. Apparently, I assumed, I burnt my mouth on some really hot food. Problem was... I didn't remember burning my mouth.

After a week of frustration, I decided I better take a trip to see the doctor. My mouth was just getting worse! You have to be kidding me... SHINGLES! Seriously? In my mouth? Well, yes, according to the doctor it is common to have Shingles appear where Chicken Pox seemed to be the worst. For me... that was in my mouth, ears, nose, etc. Woo Hoo! I now am recovering from Shingles in the respective areas!

Shingles did do one thing for me. It put me to bed. Not that I had the time, but my body made the time.

Why is it that we wait until we get sick to take time out and recharge? Do we do the same thing with our Heavenly Father? I will give a rhetorical, "YES," for all who are reading. Of course we do! We don't mean to put off recharging our spiritual wellness, it just seems to happen. Between packing lunches, carpool lines, room mom duties, planning dinner, homework time, church duties, bedtime routines, cleaning the kitchen, and laundry (which Jamie helps with A LOT), when do I take time not just to read about God and check my daily quiet time off the list, but actually commune with my Heavenly Father?

In Matthew 14, we are shown the perfect example of how we should take time to be alone with the Father. Jesus had just spent the day with multitudes of people. He had "felt compassion for them, and healed their sick" (Matthew 14:14) and fed five thousand with only five loaves and two fish with plenty to spare. And yet, he found his way to the top of a mountain, by Himself, to pray. Jesus Christ, the great and mighty Messiah who had come to save the world, found time to be alone with His Father and pray.

I notice a few things that I need to do to strive to be more like Jesus. I need to not wait for a problem to occur in life... I just need to be alone with the Father. I need to not wait for life to slow down... I just need to be alone with the Father. When life is wonderful, difficult, crazy, busy, amazing... I just need to be alone with the Father.

I am looking forward to my time with the Father this week. My prayer is that I am not checking a duty off of my list, but communing with my Jesus... my precious Jesus!

"And after He had sent the multitudes away, He went up to the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone." ~Matthew 14:23

No comments: