Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A Hole in 14...




I revert back to our beach trip again today. I can't help but wonder exactly why there are so many putt-putt courses near the beach. Every beach I have been to seems to have a couple of things in common... surf shops and putt-putt courses. These two things seem to be found on every city block. As we drove down the main drag at the beach, we actually lost count of the souvenier shops. Many of which I hope I never have to enter! The only rival to souvenier stores was the vast number putt-putt courses. Many had monkeys with glowing eyes. Some had dinosaurs who would eat your putt-putt ball. There were even some active volcanos.


Just like any good tourist, we took our turn at playing a round of putt-putt. Now, you must understand. My sweet husband is quite competitive at any sport he takes on. Although I am not quite sure if putt-putt is a sport, it is considered one by Jamie. We set out with 4 different color balls and clubs in hand. Jake was the first to putt. He took aim and after about 3 putts...in went his ball. Jamie was second and he took pride in already being under par. Nati Grace was next.


Nati Grace impressed me with her skill of putting her PINK ball on the putting area. She seemed to be so very confident of herself. After a few pitiful looks at her daddy, Jamie went and help her position her hands on the little club and she set off on putting the ball down the green. Several strokes later, Jamie once again stepped in and helped her get the ball in the hole.


In the next couple of holes, Jamie, Jake, and myself had great success. We were all relatively close in score and Jake and I had even had the victory of a hole in 1. Nati Grace was up again. "Daddy, I can do it myself this time," she declared! Sure enough, 10 minutes later, her pink ball finally dropped in the hole. She quickly added, "See, Bubby, I am a good player too! I got a hole in 14!"




You see, Nati Grace was far more concerned about making sure she completed the task ahead of her than about the hardship that it took for her to get there. A hole in 1 or a hole in 14... her persistence still got her there.


I have found myself asking the question, am I willing to persevere, fight the good fight, and finish the race even if God asks me to go through trials, heartache, and difficult times? Am I willing to try 14 times to get the ball in the hole or do I give up after the first try?

Dear Lord,
I want to stick it out! I am confident that You want me to see it to the end.
Help me to remember that You have already won the game,
I simply need to do what You have called me to do.

"Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy se before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." ~Hebrews 12:1-3

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Love your blog...too cute!
You can also put a counter on your blog to check out your traffic and where everyone is coming from, again it is free. The one I use is www.blogpatrol.com