Friday, October 17, 2008

Tough Guy

Compassion, eagerness to help, and being an amazing encourager are three of the qualities that Jake has been given by the Lord. I am convinced that Jake truly cares for the feelings of others and that God is going to use that in many ways in his life. I was reminded of his eagerness to help just recently.

Mike Metzger, the associate pastor at our church, needed help one Sunday after church. Jake looked like a likely candidate and Mr. Mike asked if he would like to help. Jake jumped at the opportunity to be a helper. They loaded groceries that had been brought to help a family in need into the back of Mr. Mike's car. Mr. Mike complimented Jake later of how helpful he was and shared with Jamie and I of a comment that Jake made in the middle of the process of loading the car, "You know, Mr. Mike, this is what tough guys were made to do! We're tough aren't we?"

I have to admit, I laughed and giggled in the moment, but later realized that my sweet Jake had taught me a lesson. I need to be doing what I was made to do. Jake was made with the gift of compassion, a helpful heart, and an encouraging spirit. He does them...well (most of the time)! My concern is this: do I, do you, know what we were made to do? Am I using the gifts that the Lord has given me to fulfill His calling: to tell other's that Christ is the salvation to a sinful world for His great glory?

My prayer is that I will seek daily to do what I have been called to do and that I will never stopped being challenged... even by my children.

"For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function, so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another. Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly; if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence, he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.

Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, perservering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality."

~Romans 12:4-13

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have a unique ability to observe the way God is working in ordinary situations. Thanks for sharing them with us!